All eyes may be on the bride, but a well-dressed groom is just as important. With the growth of online rental options, should grooms choose a tux online or from a local retailer? Doug Douglas, owner of Tuxes Too, is an expert with a long history in the wedding industry. “We’ve been in business for thirty years. My mother owned The Bridal Path for 47 years, so I grew up in the business.” Tuxes Too has been outfitting grooms and groomsmen since 1990. “One very important thing to remember when renting a tuxedo for your wedding or special event is to select a store that carries inventory in stock,” Douglas advises. “Every style showcased on our website is hanging in the store in Jackson.”
photo by Sully Clemmer Photography
Here is his advice for renting a tuxedo from a local retailer:
- In-stock inventory allows for last-minute changes. “Online places cannot change things quickly,” Douglas said, “whereas stores with a complete stock of rental inventory can make changes the week of the wedding, if necessary.”
- Online changes often cost time and money. Even when changes are made in advance, there are costs associated with sending a suit or tux back to an online retailer and shipping the correct items back. Those costs go up for expedited shipping.
- Accurate measurements by a menswear professional ensure proper fit. Many grooms or their groomsmen may have never been measured before. While instructions are helpful, getting measured by an in-house expert takes the guesswork out of fittings.
- Fittings give you the whole picture. Photos of real weddings and online research may help with inspiration, but an in-person fitting fills in the unknowns such as true color, texture and weight of the fabric – an important consideration for summer weddings in the south.
- In-person fittings can help cement the details. Couples may have decided on an overall style, but details add personality. Choosing accessories becomes much easier with everything in one room and the guidance of an expert.
Renting locally is convenient. Douglas described the process at Tuxes Too, which is fairly standard for many local retailers:
- First step is for the couple to come in about three to four months before the wedding to pick out a style. We measure the groom and he makes his selections.
- Over next few months, groomsmen can come in and get fitted or we email instructions to get fitted in their hometown. They send those to us via email or through our online app.
- A few days before, everyone comes in for a final fitting. We have everything in stock if they need to make changes, so there are no surprises. When they leave the store, they take their rentals with them.
- Everything is due back the following Monday, but we also offer pickup at many area hotels.
Renting a tuxedo or suit locally can give a couple options, expert guidance, convenience and peace of mind. For more information about Tuxes Too, visit them online or at their location in Banner Hall.